Who We Are
Serving Congress and the Supreme Court, the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is the builder and steward of the landmark buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill. The AOC staff preserves and maintains the historic buildings, monuments, art and inspirational gardens on the Capitol campus. Recognizing the trust placed in us by Congress and the American people, the AOC team is committed to providing a safe environment and inspiring experiences for all who work and visit the symbol of American democracy.
What We Do
The AOC is rooted in a tradition of unique craftsmanship and ingenuity. Tracing its beginnings to the laying of the Capitol cornerstone in 1793, the AOC is responsible for the operations and care of more than 18.4 million square feet of facilities, 570 acres of grounds and thousands of works of art. The Capitol campus is home to 30,000 daily occupants and hosts more than 3 million visitors annually.
Today, there are more than 2,000 AOC employees serving around the clock in diverse roles to maintain and preserve the buildings and grounds. Iconic landmarks under our care include the U.S. Capitol, Capitol Grounds, Capitol Visitor Center, House Office Buildings, Library of Congress, Senate Office Buildings, Supreme Court and U.S. Botanic Garden.
Our Mission: Serve, Preserve, Inspire
To serve Congress and the Supreme Court, preserve America's Capitol and inspire memorable experiences.
The Architect of the Capitol has four goals that it strives to achieve in order to carry out its mission to serve, preserve and inspire:
- Maintain Awe-Inspiring Facilities
The AOC's mission centers on our stewardship of the structures and grounds of the nation’s Capitol. We must ensure every visitor to Capitol Hill experiences the grandeur of these historic treasures at their very best.
- Provide Extraordinary Services
We support our prestigious occupants in their critical mission to govern our country. We fulfill the journey of visitors from across our nation and around the world to celebrate and discover the center and symbol of American democracy. Our internal and external services are equally essential in the successful fulfillment of our mission, values and vision.
- Foster an Innovative and Empowered Workforce
An empowered workforce will exercise greater responsibility for its performance, and proactively apply well-informed judgement and innovation, to solve problems with solutions that focus on results.
- Operate as One Team, Dedicated to One Mission
We must recognize and value that what may appear to be competing priorities for different AOC functions are ultimately in service to our united mission, values and vision.
Find out more in our five-year strategic plan for 2017–2021.
Our Core Values
The behaviors of AOC employees demonstrate our commitment to the TIPPS principles:
- Teamwork — We work and communicate with each other cooperatively and respectfully to achieve the greater goals of the AOC.
- Integrity — We demonstrate our honesty, sincerity and dependability to earn the trust of those we serve.
- Professionalism — We adhere to the highest standards of quality and competency for the work we do.
- Pride — We derive great satisfaction from the work we do and in the honor of serving Congress, the Supreme Court and the American people every day.
- Safety — We exercise responsibility for ourselves and those around us to promote the safety, security and well-being of our team and our customers.
Our Customer Service Philosophy
The customer service behaviors of AOC employees demonstrate our commitment to being ROC stars:
- Responsive — We immediately acknowledge our customers and their needs; we ensure they receive a timely resolution.
- Ownership — We provide a personalized and proactive service; we anticipate needs and implement solutions.
- Courteous — We treat others as we want to be treated; everyone is a Very Important Person.