The Architect of the Capitol (AOC) strives to perform all work at a high level of excellence and has been recognized for its efforts through many awards. These awards are highlighted here at the end of each fiscal year.
Fiscal Year (FY) 2019
- American Society of Safety Professionals: Recognition
- The American Society of Safety Professionals recognized AOC Safety Engineer Marjory Anderson as an Engineering Practice Specialty Safety Professional of the Year for 2018–19.
- Association of Government Accountants: Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting
- The AOC received the Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for the agency's FY 2018 Performance and Accountability Report. In addition, the AOC received a special CEAR award for recognition of its staff contributions to the agency mission via a report feature that showcased employees who exemplified the agency's "One Team, One Mission" strategic goal.
- Association of Government Accountants: Certificate of Excellence in Citizen-Centric Reporting
- The AOC received the Certificate of Excellence in CitizenCentric Reporting for the agency's FY 2018 Performance and Accountability Highlights report.
- Engineering News-Record MidAtlantic: 2019 Legacy Award
- Former Architect of the Capitol Stephen T. Ayers received the 2019 Legacy Award for establishing a solid legacy of lifetime service to the construction industry, his colleagues and to the community.
- Engineering News-Record MidAtlantic: Excellence in Safety Award of Merit
- The AOC received a 2019 Excellence in Safety Award of Merit for the cogeneration project at the Capitol Power Plant.
- Herb Society of America: Recognition
- The Herb Society of America inducted Laura Anthony, U.S. Botanic Garden's Special Events Coordinator, into the society's Rosemary Circle.
- Office of Congressional Workplace Rights: Recognition
- The Office of Congressional Workplace Rights and the National Safety Council identified several AOC shops that maintained a hazard-free workplace. These included: Capitol Building's electric and labor shops, Capitol Power Plant's electric shop, House Office Buildings' elevator shop, Planning and Project Management's construction and paint shops, and Supreme Court Building and Grounds' electric, elevator, plumbing and stonemason shops. In addition, David Hicks, a House Office Buildings safety and occupational health specialist, received an individual 115th Biennial Safety Advocate Award for his commitment to workplace safety.
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence
- TripAdvisor honored the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center (CVC) with its 2019 Certificate of Excellence. In praise of five consecutive years of consistently high ratings from travelers (2015–2019), the CVC also received a special Hall of Fame certificate.
- U.S. Capitol Historical Society: Freedom Award
- The U.S. Capitol Historical Society presented the 2018 Freedom Award to the Architect of the Capitol in recognition of its ongoing mission. The ceremony also featured the unveiling of the official portrait of retiring 11th Architect of the Capitol, Stephen T. Ayers.
- Washington Building Congress (WBC): Craftsmanship Awards
- The Cannon Renewal Project, Phase 1, received two Craftsmanship Awards. In the electrical category, WBC recognized that during the renovation of the largest wing of the Cannon Building, its remaining wings had to stay energized, all while remaining transparent to members of Congress and their staff. In the special construction category, WBC acknowledged the difficulty of protecting the historic features of the centuryold building during the demolition of its fifth floor and the construction of a temporary roof enclosure.
U.S. Botanic Garden team accepts Sustainable SITES® gold certification.
- American Institute of Architects: Thomas Jefferson Award for Public Architecture
- 11th Architect of the Capitol Stephen T. Ayers, FAIA, CCM, LEED AP was selected as the 2018 recipient
- Three Association of Government Accountants (AGA) Certificates:
- Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for the AOC's FY 2017 Performance and Accountability Report (PAR)
- Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for "Best Executive Summary"
- Certificate of Excellence in Citizen-Centric Reporting for the FY 2017 Performance and Accountability Highlights
- National Fire Protection Association: Recognition
- AOC Fire Marshal Laurence Dallaire, PE for long-standing service as Chair of the Technical Committee of the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
- U.S. Green Building Council: Gold Certification (Pictured above)
- Bartholdi Park renovation was awarded gold certification as a Sustainable SITES® project
- Two Washington Building Congress Awards:
- Craftsmanship Award for the House of Representatives Chamber Sound System Upgrade project
- Star Award for Excellence in the Face of Adversity for the House of Representatives Chamber Sound System Upgrade project
Capitol Power Plant Revitalization, Construction Management Association of America's Project of the Year
- Two Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) National Capital Chapter Project Achievement Awards:
- "Infrastructure project less than $150 million" for the Capitol Dome Restoration
- "Project of the Year: Infrastructure Category (projects less than $50 million)" for the Refrigeration Plant Revitalization Program Phases 1, 2A and 2B at the Capitol Power Plant (Pictured above)
- Two Washington Building Congress 2017 Craftsmanship Awards:
- "Special Construction: Scaffolding & Rigging" for the Capitol Dome Restoration
- "Masonry: Exterior Stone" for the U.S. Capitol Building North Exterior Renovation
- The U.S. Capitol Dome Restoration project was the recipient of these additional awards:
- Institute of Classical Architecture & Art John Russell Pope Award for Historic Preservation
- Board of Victorian Society in America 2017 Preservation Award
- Two Association of Government Accountants (AGA) Certificates:
- Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for the AOC's FY 2016 PAR
- Certificate of Excellence in Citizen-Centric Reporting for the FY 2016 Performance and Accountability Highlights
- AOC's Cogeneration Project was recognized with an award from the White House Council on Environmental Quality for contributing to the success of the President’s Performance Contracting Challenge
- Certificate of Appreciation from City Wildlife for the implementation of two duck ramps at the Capitol Reflecting Pond
- The U.S. Botanic Garden was named one of the "Best Botanical Gardens in the United States" by the Travel Channel and was voted the "Best Underrated Tourist Attraction" in Washington, D.C. by readers of The Washington Post.
- Employee Lee Coykendall (U.S. Botanic Garden Children's Education Specialist) was a 2017 recipient of the American Horticultural Society's Jane L. Taylor Award
Capitol Dome Restoration, D.C. Society of Professional Engineers' Project of the Year
- AGA Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for the AOC's FY 2015 PAR
- Two District of Columbia Society of Professional Engineers' (DCSPE) Awards:
- 2016 Project of the Year for the Capitol Dome Restoration project (Pictured above)
- 2016 Engineer of the Year, Christine A. Merdon, P.E., CCM
- Two Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) Awards the Hart Senate Office Building (HSOB) Skylight and Roof Replacement project:
- National Capital Region Chapter's Project of the Year, "Building Less than $25M" category
- Top Regional Project, "Mid-Size Project" category
- 2016 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence "signifying that the CVC has consistently earned outstanding feedback from TripAdvisor travelers."
- Nomination for Helen Hayes awards for Outstanding Costume Design and Outstanding Theater for Young Audience for the musical, Flowers Stink, which was co-commissioned by the U.S. Botanic Garden (USBG) and Kennedy Center and performed at the USBG
- Program Excellence Award from the American Public Garden Association for the USBG's and Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center's Landscape for Life program
- Two Washington Building Congress awards for for the Thomas Jefferson Building Sprinkler System, West Main Pavilion, First Floor project:
- 2016 Craftsmanship Award, "Mechanical: Plumbing" category
- 2016 Star Award for Visual Excellence
U.S. Capitol Rotunda App Home Screen
- Adobe's Most Engaging Citizen-Facing Campaign in the Public Service category for U.S. Capitol Rotunda App (Pictured above)
- Two Association of Government Accountants (AGA's) Awards
- Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) for AOC's FY 2014 (PAR)
- Best in Class Award for the Best Use of Hyperlinks, Drilldowns, and Opportunities for Interaction in AOC's FY 2014 PAR
- CMAA National Capital Chapter's 2015 Project Achievement Award in the "Best Project Under $10 Million" category for the Capitol Power Plant Feedwater Pump Upgrade project
- League of American Cyclists' Bicycle Friendly Business designation
- TripAdvisor's Bravo Badge for the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center
- Virginia Water Environment Association's Gold Environmental Excellence Award for Industrial Waste and Pretreatment for the Library Buildings and Grounds' Packard Campus
Children enjoying Exibition Hall at the Capitol Visitor Center
- The AGA's Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) in recognition of AOC's FY 2013 PAR
- An Association of Energy Engineers Corporate Energy Management Region II Award "For Accomplishments on Developing, Organizing, Managing and Implementing an Outstanding Corporate Energy Management Program"
- Three 2013 CMAA Project Achievement Awards:
- Infrastructure Project with Constructed Value Less Than $50 Million (Interior Rehabilitation of the East and West House Underground Garages)
- Program Management/Program Phase—Buildings (U.S. Capitol Dome Skirt Restoration)
- Program Management/Program Phase—Infrastructure (U.S. Capitol Power Plant, Tunnel Rehabilitation Program)
- Completion of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification of the U.S. Capitol Police K-9 facility in May 2014, achieving a status of LEED Gold.
- A 2014 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor, the top online travel and tourism review site, recognizing that the Capitol Visitor Center (CVC) "has consistently earned outstanding feedback from TripAdvisor travelers." The CVC ranked among the top 30 of nearly 300 similar facilities or museum institutions.
- As a partner to John C. Grimberg, Co., Inc., AOC received an Association of General Contractors' Washington Contractor Award for the Capitol Power Plant Improvement Project.
Dome Skirt Restoration Brickwork
- The AGA's Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) in recognition of the FY 2012 PAR
- The Association of Energy Engineers Region II Corporate Energy Management Award in recognition of AOC's energy management program
- The Washington Building Congress 2013 Craftsmanship Award for U.S. Capitol's Construction Division Emergency Lighting and Electrical Services Upgrade
- The Engineering News-Record Mid-Atlantic Renovation/Restoration Award of Merit for the U.S. Capitol Dome Skirt Restoration (Pictured above)
Virtual Capitol Website
- The AGA's Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) in recognition of AOC's 2011 PAR
- The East House Underground Garage received a LEED for New Construction certification at the Gold level
- The General Services Administration 2012 Achievement Award for Real Property Innovation Program, Sustainability Category, in recognition of AOC's East House Underground Garage Interior Rehabilitation Project
- The Building Operating Management magazine's FMXcellence Award for customer service excellence in recognition of AOC's Office of Security Programs
- The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences Webby Award for Best Government Website in recognition of the Virtual Capitol Website (Pictured above)
- The AGA's Certificate of Excellence in Accountability Reporting (CEAR) in recognition of AOC's 2010 PAR
- 2011 Building Operating Management magazine's FMXcellence Award for Customer Service Excellence
Curator Barbara Wolanin and 11th Architect of the Capitol Stephen Ayers accepting the preservation award.
- The American Institute for Conservation and Heritage Preservation's 2010 Award for Outstanding Commitment to the Preservation and Care of Collections